Monday, January 19, 2009

It's Been One Week...


I’ve been in Italia for a full week now (even though it feels like it’s been much longer because of a lack of certain things…such as a routine). I don’t want to bore anyone with the details of what I’ve seen so far so I’ll sum it all up in a list: St. Peter’s Basilica (inside and out), the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon (inside and out), Spanish Steps, Coliseum (story to follow), Roman Forum, and the Termini (the train station…I know, exciting!).  All of these sites were fascinating to finally see in person.  A picture may speak a thousand words, but there is nothing like experiencing the real thing.  I saw the majority of these things for only a few moments each because the rain or the cold or the effin’ umbrella peddlers set us on the move again. I will definitely re-visit these places so I can fully take them in and enjoy their existence and history in person, but not until another day…hey, I’ve got some time, right?

So, the first time I saw the Coliseum was actually quite on accident. Let’s just say we kind of stumbled upon it—not a bad thing to stumble upon! A friend and I were trying to find our way back to our apartments from the Spanish Steps, and me, being the guy, knew exactly where we were going (built in GPS, right?). Anyway, one wrong turn and we were…let’s not say lost because it implies we didn’t know where we were and I knew we were somewhere in Rome the whole time—problem solved…we were on an adventure!  Long story short, as we started arguing over the possible fact that my internal GPS was broken (or defective), we looked to our left and gosh darnit, Mike had found the Coliseum! It was the craziest thing and my friend was so grateful in the end that I had known exactly where we were going and didn’t want to ruin the surprise. You’re welcome!

JUST A FEW OBSERVATIONS THAT I’VE MADE THUS FAR…

-Girls like to ask for directions when they are clearly not necessary

-Traffic in Italy sucks. Result: crossing streets in Italy sucks.

-Many Italians know some English, however limited, it’s there.

-Power randomly goes off in apartments

-Pizza IS a food group

-When an Italian man asks you your opinion on Italian women…DO NOT respond that they’re not that bad…the male will become upset, if not offended

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't describe how much i love reading your blog; its like i'm reliving my trip through you! First time we saw the Colosseum was by accident too, we were randomly walking then all of a sudden BAM there it was! A fantastic accident as far as i'm concerned! And Termini was one of my landmarks; did you ride the train?

    As for your observations:
    --women ask for directions so much to make up for the men who don't. :-P
    --When crossing the street, find a break in traffic and just walk. Don't make eye contact, don't hesitate, or you will die.
    --When an Italian man asks your opinion, the answer should ALWAYS be beautiful... just like if your girlfriend is asking how a dress looks on her.

    I'm glad you're having a wonderful time. Live it up! Love you mucho. --Adgie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I've seen Adgie in action when she takes the no-eye-contact, I'm-walking-no-matter-what-you-do tactic...it's impressive (or scary) to say the least ;)

    I have to say I love reading this blog as well! It's only been a week or so, but I've realized anew that you're funny my friend ;) (internal GPS, bah! ...lol)

    I forgot about the umbrella peddlers! I hope you dodged well!

    You certainly do have time, I hope the adventures continue!

    Love from,
    ~Brigit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you are having fun! Post some pics please!

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Random reply to Brig's post:
    Maybe all GPS systems are defective - internal or otherwise... just look at Fr. Andy... Sorry, that's kind of a low blow but i had to take it.

    ReplyDelete