Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bienvenuti a Roma!

So, I made it safely to my final destination of Rome! After months of dreaming and anticipating, I'm finally here! It's still very surreal to me, but I'm sure it'll sink in by morning when  I start walking around the city in the daylight. I'm thrilled to say that I'm in Rome tonight after the many delays in Chicago (can't say the weather is missed) and then the 4 hour or so layover in Munich. It was just tiring and confusing because they switched my airline carrier and then almost wouldn't let me board the plane to Rome because whoever printed out my boarding pass didn't make sure that there was a ticket number on it (apparently this is a vital piece of information when boarding a plane...who knew?).

Anywho, once in Rome our worries were cast aside when we were (thank God) picked up by a shuttle sent by the university and taken to our apartments (we thought we would miss this service with all the delays we encountered). The ride to our apartments was interesting to put it lightly. Let's just say, a lot of people think driving in a city like Chicago is bad...Chicago is a walk in the park in comparison. I couldn't help but laugh though at the ridiculousness of the driving style though, because as far as anyone is concerned, traffic laws are mere suggestions. Dinner tonight gave me a chance to try my first authentic italian pizza and the language a bit. Delicious pretty much sums it up into one word. It was entertaining though to attempt to order such a simple item of food and to still have so much difficulty--I knew what I was trying to say...I guess I'll have to work at it a bit more though to get past the grazie's and ciao's...

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it safe! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike! I'm glad you made it safely! Have a great time and good luck picking up the language. Keep in touch!

    Love ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gad you made it safe and sound! What you said about the cab ride is soooo true, but now I no longer fear for my life when in a Chicago cab! Hope you're having a blast!
    Ciao ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Michael and hope you are safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take some cooking lessons out there and come home and cook for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike you are a stud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so i am so jealous, but perhaps next year i'll be in France and ill have my own stories to tell. sounds pretty exciting to be there though

    ReplyDelete