Tuesday, February 17, 2009

NightTime Stroll

Have you ever noticed how even when you're away from the norm of life, you still need a breather from time to time? That's how I felt last week. I got to thinking one day (a dangerous habit, I know, but one I try to limit), and realized that although I've seen a fair amount of the city, I still haven't seen near as much as I'd like to. It was time to challenge myself.

Last Wednesday night, I was invited by Fr. T to join in evening prayer with himself and some of the men from around the States who are on their way to priesthood (I'm sensing a theme among priests I encounter and their hopes for a young lad like myself...hmm...). Afterward, we had dinner in the dining hall (I know I mention food a lot in these blogs, but it happens a lot here, I feel...yes, food "happens" here), and he gave me my first taste of grappa. For those of you who aren't familiar with this toxic drink, it is made up of the remains of what makes wine (seeds, leaves, etc). Worst. Idea. Ever. I never would have thought it possible for one's facial expressions to be completely out of their control...on account of a drink, but I learned quickly. As hard as I tried to smile in response to the conversation we were having, my mouth denied me the ability. Maybe it was something I ate?

Before we parted ways for the evening, Fr. T showed me around North American College, which is located on Gianculum Hill. My favorite part of the tour was easily the trip to the roof. You could see ROME from here. I realize how ridiculous that sounds, but there's only one other view like that in the city and if you're seeing it from that perspective, you're missing out on seeing St. Peter's.

When it was time to leave, I walked in a direction that overlooked the city, though from a lower vantage point than I'd just been allowed. After about 20 minutes or so of slowly making my way back to where I should go down stairs to get back home, I started arguing with myself. The argument was over which way to take--the easy, mindless way of getting home or the new, unknown and hopefully exciting way. After a couple minutes of debate, I emerged victorious--I was taking the new way. This would be fun. I took about 16 steps in a rightward direction and stopped in my tracks at the sight of 3 large military men. Equipped with guns similar to the machine guns that the polizia carry and decked out in camouflage garb, they were anything but intimidating. So, I did what any sane person would do in this situation...I snuck up on them, shouted "FIRE!", and took off running.

On the rest of the way home, with Orion as my companion, I enjoyed having only a vague idea of the direction I was going. It was very freeing, to be honest. At one point, I found myself on the road where my apartment is. I followed it for about one block then took a right up a random hill and street, to break habit. I found a couple sets of steep stairs a short distance up this hill. Not having any clue where these went (other than up), I felt the need to take them, so I did--two at a time and at a decent speed considering their numbers. In true Rocky fashion, upon reaching the top, I extended my arms into the air...success! I looked back and considered doing laps up and down these stairs, just because, but considered it a little too ambitious and thought it would be better to save my energy for the unchartered territory ahead. Long story only slightly longer, I wandered somewhat aimlessly for a little over an hour. I think I even left the area where I live for the first time (on the west side of town anyway). All that time, I just kept thinking about how much further I could get, AND I was never really too lost--the moon was always to my left to guide me. Who needs a map anyway?

1 comment:

  1. Ye were warned that grappa secretly means gasoline...
    And that stroll sounds absolutely delightful! I could imagine it and it seems glorious.

    ReplyDelete